DRTV RESOURCES / RESEARCH
Infomercials have traditionally concentrated on several product categories. You know the big ones, of course
fitness, housewares, diet and cosmetics. These product lines demonstrate well and require thirty-minute infomercials to tell the whole story. Increasingly, many new categories have found their way to long form infomercials. And, as times change, category success changes. Check this page frequently for updated information. Is your product the next great breakthrough on TV? Call InfoWorx to learn more.
Top Long Form Catagories
10 Important Infomercial and
- Health & Fitness
- Housewares & Appliances
- Diet, Weight, Nutrition
- Cosmetics, Care and Personal Care
- Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Financial & Business Opportunities
- Home & Garden
- Music & Video
- Personal Development, Self-Help & Education
- Fund Raising
- Crafts, Collectibles & Hobbies
- Entertainment, Travel & Psychic
Direct Response TV Facts
- Viewership incidence is highest for direct-response spots, followed by infomercials and live shopping shows.
- TV infomercials were watched for a median of seven minutes prior to a purchase call was placed; TV shopping programs for a median of 5 minutes.
- The majority of Americans who watch infomercials typically join in the middle of the program.
- The TV Viewer and Buyer population is 54% female. Long form infomercial Buyers are more likely to be female (64%) than male (36%).
- Infomercials and live shopping shows are the most effective at converting Viewers to Buyers.
- Long form infomercial product Buyers were motivated to make a purchase after an average of 2.8 exposures; live shopping show (6.9) and direct-response spot (7.5).
- The amounts spent on infomercial products were on average $98 with a median of $40.
- Direct-response TV Viewers are more affluent than they were six years ago.
- The infomercial Viewer population has become younger in the last six years.
- For many Buyers, infomercials, live shopping shows, and direct response spots generate “afterthought” sales- products that are purchased at a later date through retail stores or over the internet.